Office of Science and Technology Policy
Director: Dr. John H. Gibbons
[AUDIO: Welcome by Dr. John H. Gibbons] (~259K)
[TRANSCRIPT: Welcome by Dr. John H. Gibbons]
OSTP is led by a Director and four Associate Directors, all of whom
are Presidentially-appointed and Senate-confirmed. OSTP is organized
into four divisions:
| | | |
SCI TECH ENV NSIA
The Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) provides expert
advise to the President in all areas of science and technology.
National Science and Technology Council (NSTC),
OSTP helps the President coordinate science, space, and technology
policy and programs across the federal government. The
President's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST)
ensures public sector involvemnet in the work of OSTP and the NSTC.
The daily work of OSTP includes:
- Advising the President and the Executive Branch in policy and
budget development on all questions related to science and technology
- Leading an interagency effort to develop and implement S&T policies
and budgets across Federal agencies.
- Coordinating the Federal government's research and development
efforts to maximize the return on the public's investment in S&T.
- Fostering strong partnerships among Federal, State, and local
governments, and the scientific community in industry and academe.
- Communicating the President's S&T policies and programs to
Congress and addressing the need for appropriate resources.
- Advancing international cooperation in science and technology.
graphical representation of this page.
return to the main page